The opportunity to nurture and care for a woman through their pregnancy and beyond is a wonderful experience for a massage therapist.
It is a specialised niche in supporting women’s health and an extremely rewarding one. A well supported woman will make an easy transition to motherhood. A well trained massage therapist in pregnancy massage offers nurturing support to their pregnant patients. Pregnancy is never static it is constantly changing and developing so treatment needs to focus on these changes and adapt to the clients ever changing needs.
Pregnancy massage will help to alleviate many discomforts felt in pregnancy; patients may benefit from:
- Improved sleep patterns which aids in reducing stress and anxiety
- Specialised massage techniques for lumbar, pelvic girdle pain and hip pain: relief welcomed immediately after treatment
- Shoulder and neck massage aids in relief of this common area of tension and is beneficial both prenatal and post natal to relieve the breastfeeding position
Patients may require treatment for some or all of the following complaints:
- Hormonal headaches
- Groin pain which is referred from the uterus: common in all trimesters
- Back pain – pelvic girdle pain – hip pain
- Rib pain common in the third trimester
- Oedema/swelling this may lead to discomfort in the legs and arms causing carpal tunnel
- Leg cramps
Massage can be used for Labour Preparation: there are proven studies showing the efficacy of massage during labour. Perinatal massage services best prepare the body to move through the waves of change in labour, maintaining the mind-body-birth-baby-connection. You can also train partners in techniques for support in Labour, there is no better way to experience a “Labour of Love”. It will instil confidence in both pregnant mum and partner.
The early postnatal weeks are the time for the body to readjust and recover from the birth and pregnancy. The joy of adapting to new motherhood can also be exhausting, as the body is undergoing many changes. At this time the we aim to support the mother’s wellbeing in this time of rapid change.
Postpartum massage has proven to reduce post labour pains, pregnancy musculoskeletal pain and also reduce anxiety and postnatal depression. The postnatal period requires a formatted treatment plan for the client to help regain pre pregnancy health and wellbeing.